Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Why I started with Digital Publishing



Why I started with Digital Publishing  

I own a Kindle. It took me a full two years to make the switch from the printed book to the digital book. I can honestly say that I now read exclusively on my Kindle. I have read a total of three books in print since getting my Kindle. I decided that the eBook route was the way I wanted to go when I received another rejection notice last fall. I researched the publishers I had been submitting my manuscripts to.

With the thought that I would gear towards eBooks I submitted first 2 books to three separate publishers. Mind you, I only submitted one of them at a time and to only one publisher. It takes 8 to 12 weeks to hear back from a publisher with the online submission process. I received a rejection from each publisher with both books, even after reworking them.
In June I made the decision that I needed to look at this process from a different angle. The first question I asked myself was, if I am thinking that my book has a place in the digital market, way am I fighting the rejections from the larger publishing companies? I had no logical conclusion for this question. 

Alright, I am at the point of wanting to research my options. My first stop was Amazon were I utilized the handy dandy search field. I typed in, self-publish on Amazon. Wow that got me a list of several options. I downloaded the free version of Building Your Book for Kindle.
 
This was the first step on my adventure of becoming a self –Published Author. It was also the best learning experience I have had since I graduated from college in 2002. I learned more about my Word program and the background language than I knew was part of that program. The formatting of the document was something I did not understand before I started this. 

Now just a quick note here for everyone, I have discovered that the formatting in this book is specific for Kindle. There are other formatting requirements for different reading devices. I know because I have made an effort to learn what I could for submitting to Nook and then iBook. What a difference. 

After I submitted Matt’s Summer I opted for the Kindle select program before I had an audience that has let me know there are other eBook devices out in the world. So this story will be exclusive on Amazon until the 20th of September. 

This last two months has been a whirlwind of learning for me. From formatting the interior of my books to the many options available for a cover design. Through all of the learning I have done, I do not regret my starting point through Kindle Direct Publishing. It is a great place for a new Author who wants to self-publish to start. 

You can find me on 
Facebook
Web Page



No comments:

Post a Comment